Bringing home your 8-week-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy for the first time is incredibly exciting and perhaps a little daunting. After all, you might have been waiting months for this day.
It’s a fun time right now! It’s your first week at home with your new Staffy puppy for many of you. Most people will bring a puppy home around eight weeks old.
Important Tip: I would advise you to postpone bringing your puppy home until they are at least eight weeks old. By playing with their siblings, your puppy will have the opportunity to learn how to get along with other dogs. Another crucial point is bite inhibition, teaching them how to control their bite force or develop a “soft mouth.”
NOTE: This page may contain affiliate links, which means Staffy Dog may receive a small commission for anything purchase via these links, at no cost to you. This keeps our tails wagging.
Before Picking Up Your Saffy Puppy
- Puppy Proof Your Home: Take your puppy’s perspective while on your hands and knees. Search the area for anything that could be dangerous, such as loose wires, small objects that your Staffy might ingest, medications, household cleaners, etc. It’s best to keep your home as safe and free of dangers as you can because your puppy will want to explore.
- Bring Someone With You to Pick Up Your Staffy: If you have someone to help you with the puppy in the car on the way home, it makes life easier. Bring a crate with you if you’re going alone so you can keep your puppy contained in the vehicle on the way home. Always think about safety first.
- Bring a Blanket and a Soft Toy: Rub the plush toy and blanket on the litter mates. This way, your puppy will have a familiar scent when they get to its new environment.
- Have All Your Puppy Supplies Ready at Home: Ensure you have everything you need for when your puppy arrives home.
2-Month Old Staffy
- Establishing a regular feeding schedule for your Staffy puppy is crucial.
- Make sure your puppy has plenty of opportunities to go potty after meals.
- Choosing food appropriate for your puppy’s age, breed, and activity level is vital.
- Keep an eye on the food intake and weight of your puppy.
When Can You Get a Staffy Puppy?
What is the ideal age to bring home your Staffy puppy? A wide range of factors influences the answer as well as various points of view. According to most doctors and breeders, the perfect time to bring home a puppy is between 8 and 10 weeks old.
What to Expect from an 8-Week-Old Staffy Puppy
Your puppy’s priorities at eight weeks of age are meeting basic needs like eating, drinking, sleeping, potty, and playing. A puppy can now remember (if they want) what actions are acceptable and where and when feeding times come around.
There’s no doubt you can start housetraining an eight-week puppy and get them used to being groomed.
They are perfectly old enough to move to their new home with you after being separated from their mother and littermates.
How Big Is an 8-Week-Old Staffordshire Bull Terrier Puppy?
Weight can vary with growing puppies, but at eight weeks old, a Staffy typically weighs between 2.5Kg to 3.5Kg. You should be fine if your Staffy looks fit and healthy and is eating correctly.
8-Week-Old Staffordshire Bull Terrier [CARE GUIDE]
How to Take Care of 8-Week-old Staffy Puppy
Puppy brains are like little sponges at this age, and they are very playful and curious because everywhere is new to them.
A two-month-old Staffy might be quiet and nervous initially because they are making a big transition to your home.
Usually, this only persists for one or two days before you start to see the natural personality shine through.
Since puppies are most receptive to learning about the outside world between the ages of three and sixteen weeks, this is the ideal time for socialisation.
At this age, you must adequately socialise your Staffy puppy.
How Much to Feed an 8-Week-Old Staffy
A 2-month-old Staffy puppy should eat four meals per day of premium puppy food. Puppies need almost twice as many calories as adult dogs based on their body weight. A 2-month-old puppy’s calorie requirements depend on size, activity level, and weight. A Staffy will need 500 to 600 calories daily as a rough guide.
What to Feed Staffy Puppy at 2 Months?
You need to feed an age-appropriate dog food for your Staffy. Ensure the first ingredient is animal-based protein. The essential amino acids your Staffy puppy receives from protein help with things like healthy skin and coat, the growth of muscles, and tissue repair.
How Much Sleep Do Staffy Puppies Need?
Despite being little balls of energy, Staffy puppies typically sleep 18 to 20 hours daily. Your puppy might be bounding around one second and fast asleep the next.
Sleep is crucial for normal development because it helps the puppy’s muscles, immune system, brain, and central nervous system develop as they should.
Where Should a Staffy Puppy Sleep?
Most Staffy puppies do best in a crate that you have lined with a blanket or other bedding. Crates ensure your pup is safe and can’t get into any mischief. Cover the bottom of the crate with newspaper or puppy pads to catch any potty accidents that always happen in the beginning.
Can I Walk My Staffy Puppy at 8 Weeks?
Young Staffies don’t have a lot of stamina. Avoid walking them too far. Generally, a Staffy puppy can walk for five minutes every day after eight weeks. A Staffy puppy two months old can walk for roughly 10 minutes.