You might be wondering which are the best bones for Staffies to chew on because there is a lot of information that contradicts itself, or at least that’s how it appears. It’s essential information you should know because giving Staffies the wrong type of bones can be detrimental to their health.
However, following a few simple rules will not only make sure bones are safe for your Staffy but can even be good for them.
What Can I Give My Staffy To Chew?
Every Staffy owner knows how heavy chewers these dogs are, and if you’ve gone down the chew toy route, you’ve probably been pretty shocked how Staffies can destroy a toy (even if the label says indestructible) within minutes.
If you’re thinking of going for real bones, which is fine, you’ll need to make sure which type your Staffy can have and the ones to avoid.
It’s always a bad idea to feed a Staffy (or any dog) cooked bones. I know people who’ve given their dog cooked pork chops bones off their plate, and the dog ended up choking, and the owner had to rush to the veterinary hospital. Cooking bones will render them easy to break and splinter; which means a dog can suffer from:
- Cuts inside the mouth and tongue
- Rectal bleeding
- Windpipe blockages
- Gastrointestinal blockages
NOTE: This page may contain affiliate links, which means Staffy Dog may receive a small commission for anything purchase via these links, at no cost to you. This keeps our tails wagging.
Are Bones Good For Staffies To Chew On?
Bones provide a considerable amount of excellent nutritional value to dogs. In fact, if you’re feeding your Staffy a raw food diet, they need raw bones to be included.
When you’re feeding a raw food diet, the type of bone needs to be easily digestible, for example, chicken carcass (the whole thing), chicken wings, chicken and duck necks, ribs, and spine. These are all excellent, and your local butcher can supply them for next to nothing.
If you’re giving a Staffy a raw bone for a treat, you can choose a marrow bone, but ensure your butcher saws it and doesn’t chop the bone. Chopping can cause the bone to split or crack. In addition, don’t give marrow bones too often; they can cause stomach upsets and finally throw the bone away after twenty-fours because they go bad.
I’ve also read debates where Staffy owners are nervous about bones breaking the dog’s teeth, but a marrow bone once a month and disposed of after twenty-four hours is unlikely to damage the dog’s teeth.
Always keep your eye on the dog when they’re chewing or gnawing on bones, you never know, and you’ll need to be close on hand if something does go awry.
Best Bones For Staffies
Chewing is an essential pastime for dogs, it alleviates boredom, and when they gnaw, it can help clean their teeth and break down tartar build-up; all good for your Staffy’s dental hygiene and health. Chewing bones also stops Staffies from being bored and chewing on other items, such as your furniture.
However, if you’re not sure about treating your Staffie to raw bones, there are alternatives, and we’re going to talk about a few of those now.
These TailWagger knuckle bone treats are 100% naturally dried healthy dog treats. There are no nasty additives or preservatives.
The knucklebones are 100% beef, slowly roasted, and there’s still plenty of meat, marrow, and trimmings to make your Staffy go crazy once he smells the chunky aroma of the meat.
If you have a Staffy that struggles with a gluten allergy, these beef knuckles will be perfect because they are grain and gluten-free.
For a heavy chewer like the Staffy, these knucklebones will keep them entertained for hours. If you’re struggling to find a bone or chew to keep your Staffy away from furniture, shoes, or whatever they like to get their teeth into, these knucklebones will fit the bill.
Why We Like Them: The TailWagger knucklebones are slowly roasted 100% beef, containing nothing that will harm your Staffy’s health.
- NO NASTIES & PRODUCED IN THE UK - 100% Natural dried healthy dog treats, no additives, produced in the UK. You can treat your dog worry free, our high quality roast knuckles are not imported.
- SINGLE INGREDIENT CHEW - These knuckle bones are made with only one ingredient; beef. They are NOT full of preservatives and nasties, your dog will absolutely love these! A great alternative to antlers.
- SUPER MEATY - these knuckles are slowly roasted to perfection, and contain bits of meat, marrow and trimmings to make your dog's mouth water. They give off a lovely meaty aroma that you dog will find irresistable.
- GLUTEN & GRAIN FREE - Roasted knuckles are hypoallergenic, and are very high in protein. If your dog is sensitive to gluten these treats are ideal, natural treats will digest gently.
- LONG LASTING BOREDOM BUSTER - If your dog gets bored easily and needs some entertainment, these roast knuckles will certainly help acting as a toy and a treat. They are long lasting, and will definitely help to keep your pooch quiet.
- Made in the UK
- Made from rawhide and starch.
- Feed as a treat, reward, or training aid
- Pack of Twenty
If you have a Staffy puppy and he’s started to chew, these Good Boy rawhide knucklebone chews will keep him occupied and his teeth off your favorite slippers, cushions, or any other furnishings the dog has taken a fancy to.
In fairness, these rawhide chews will not stand up to a fully grown Staffy’s teeth, but while they are going through the puppy stage, the chews will be a tremendous help.
When you order these chews, you’ll find they’re great value for money; for what you pay, you’ll receive a kilogram of bones, which is 20 bones to pack.
They will help satisfy your Staffy’s natural chewing needs and, at the same time, help break up the tartar on their teeth.
Why We Like Them: Good Boy rawhide knucklebones are excellent value for money and will keep a Staffy puppy happily chewing for hours.
- Feed as a treat, reward or training aid
- Highly palatable
- Helps fight plaque and tartar
- No additives
- Gluten & grain-free
- 100% natural dried healthy treats
- Made in the UK
The Mini meat-filled bones are 100% British made, with no imported materials. You can have complete confidence in the quality of the product; there are no additives, and the bones are 100% naturally dried, healthy dog treats.
The bones themselves are exceptionally strong with a much-reduced chance of them splintering; however, care should always be taken when giving a dog bones to chew.
These beef ribs are hypoallergenic, gluten and grain-free. In addition, regular chewing and gnawing on the bones will help your Staffy’s dental hygiene by reducing plaque and tartar from their teeth.
Why We Like Them: The mini meat-filled bones are a perfect treat for your Staffy; they can lick the middle out and then move onto the bone.
- Made with a tough, durable nylon this toy was made with powerful chewers in mind
- Challenges aggressive chewers, extra durable, long lasting, flavour throughout
- Tiny bristles raise on the bone during chewing, like a mini toothbrush to help keep teeth clean and prevent tartar build up
- Satisfy your dogs' natural urge to chew and keep him busy with something tasty and long lasting to chew on; the materials are as tough as real bones but they don't have the same dangers
- For adult dogs 23 kg and over with an extreme chewing style
- Safe to chew
- Excellent for dental hygiene
- Over 50 years experience making dog chews
- Three flavours
- Long-lasting, non-toxic
- Zero-calorie flavouring
The Nylabone Dura Chew Extreme Tough Dog Chew is perfect for dogs over 23 kg and are heavy chewers, all of which perfectly fit your Staffy.
The chew comes with bacon flavour, chicken or original; the flavour will last right down to the last chew; the taste isn’t sprayed, coated, or dipped, and it goes on and on.
Even powerful chewing machines such as the Staffy will find this chew bone a challenge. Nylabone have been making dog chews for over fifty years, so they know a thing or two about creating bones like the real thing without the inherent dangers of splitting and cracking.
The innovative way the bone works is as your Staffy chews, the surface becomes rougher and tiny bristles clean the dog’s teeth as they chew.
If your dog does chew off any pieces, they’ll only be very tiny; these they can swallow without any ill effects.
Why We Like Them: Nylabone chew extreme is a long-lasting dog chew for aggressive chewers, ideal for a Staffy.
- NO NASTIES & PRODUCED IN THE UK - 100% Natural dried healthy dog treats, no additives, produced in the UK. You can treat your dog worry free, our high quality bones are not imported.
- STRONG BRITISH BONE - These bones are not imported from abroad where the bones can easily splinter or shatter, ours are much stronger and made from locally sourced british raw materials, our last longer and have a reduced chance of splintering
- GREAT FOR DENTAL HYGIENE - These filled bones will help to promote healthy teeth and gums as your dog chews and gnaws helping to remove tartar and plaque from your dog's teeth.
- GLUTEN & GRAIN FREE - Our british bones are hypoallergenic, and are very high in protein. If your dog is sensitive to gluten these treats are ideal, natural treats will digest gently.
- LONG LASTING BOREDOM BUSTER - If your dog gets bored easily and needs some entertainment, these roasted bones will certainly help acting as a toy and a treat. They are long lasting, and will definitely help to keep your pooch quiet.
Staffies need something to divert their attention away from your furniture or shoes. When Staffies are bored, they’re going to chew.
You will need to find something that Staffies can get their teeth into, and it’s not the corner of your sofa. 90% of regular toys aren’t going to last more than a few minutes if that. So finding the best bones for Staffies to chew on will save you a lot of money in the long run and provide your Staffie with some chewing satisfaction.