Staffordshire Bull Terriers are dogs with a reputation for pulling on their lead when you’re out walking and being such powerful dogs that can quickly take a toll on your shoulder muscles. So, most Staffy owners will switch to a harness once their dog is old enough.
However, there are so many harness choices that it can be a pretty daunting task to choose the most suitable harness for a Staffy and one that’s comfortable and safe for the dog. So, this article discusses the best Staffy harness, and we’ll go over the top 6 harnesses for Staffies.
What’s the Point of a Dog Harness?
As a Staffy owner, you may not have given much thought to the modest dog harness. Although the term “harness” conjures up images of badly-behaved dogs, this simple equipment can be a powerful training aid.
NOTE: This page may contain affiliate links, which means Staffy Dog may receive a small commission for anything purchase via these links, at no cost to you. This keeps our tails wagging.
Staffies are renowned pullers when out walking, and you only have to go to any Staffy forum to read the many posts detailing the difficulties owners have with pulling. In addition to stopping that, a harness can educate your Staffy on how to walk correctly. Additionally, dogs with medical disorders (such as collapsed trachea) where pressure on their throat might lead to additional issues can be an excellent alternative to a collar.
Collar vs Harness: Which Is Best for a Staffy?
There are more advantages to using a dog harness than the more typical dog collar, including:
- Better control of your Staffy is necessary if you’re out walking on or near a busy road or in crowds.
- Discourages Staffies from pulling because it educates them that they don’t derive any advantage. However, pulling on a collar propels the dog forward, giving them the impression that their actions have an effect and they are in control. When a Staffy wears a harness, pulling does little more than lifting their front legs off the ground, contrary to what they want to achieve.
- Wearing a harness prevents a Staffy from jumping up, another habit that Staffies love. A dog harness is a safe and effective technique to restrain Staffies who like to jump up on family and strangers.
- Collars can be challenging to fit correctly. For example, if you have a tight collar, it can choke your Staffy or damage the dog’s throat or cause tracheal collapse. But if a collar is not tight enough, the dog can easily wriggle free and be off in a flash.
Harness for Staffies: Pros + Cons
|A harness offers the Staffy owner more control over the dog.||Your Staffy might hate wearing a harness. Disliking the harness adds another dimension to the problem because now you need to spend time helping your Staffy get used to the feel of a harness.|
|An excitable Staffy can often get tangled up in the lead, which can cause accidents.||The harness can cause some discomfort underneath the Staffy’s legs where the harness rubs, especially if your Staffy is a hard puller.|
|Reduces the possibility of severe neck injuries.|
|An excellent training tool.|
Using a front-clip harness prevents a Staffy from lead pulling.
How Do You Measure a Staffy for a Harness?
Using a fabric measuring tape, start with your Staffy’s chest. Then, measure from behind the dog’s front legs all around the chest at the broadest point. The tape shouldn’t be tight; you need to be able to put your forefinger under the tape comfortably. Also, make sure your Staffy is standing and not lying down.
Next, measure the dog’s neck. So, using the tape again, measure around the neck in roughly the same area where a dog collar would naturally fit. Again, use the finger rule for the neck size. You can also measure the dog’s topline; although not strictly necessary, you can have it just in case. The topline runs from the tip of the tail to the same area where the collar would be.
Staffordshire Bull Terrier Harness Size
Staffies vary in size, and the breed standard allows a difference of two inches in height. Also, if you’re buying a harness for a Staffy puppy, you’ll need a smaller size. Depending on the brand, you should choose medium to large harnesses, providing the harness has plenty of adjustment available in the straps.
So, measure your Staffy as we just described to get a good idea of the size; better yet, take your dog to the pet store if they allow dogs inside and try on a selection. Remember, Staffies are not tall dogs, but they have deep chests, so ensure you measure the chest carefully.
American Staffordshire Terrier Harness Size
American Staffordshire Terriers are bigger than the Staffy; the average is a few inches taller and roughly twenty pounds heavier than a Staffy. You can measure your Amstaff in precisely the same way as we described. However, it’s unlikely any medium harness will fit an Amstaff; you’ll definitely need at least a large one.
Best Staffy Harnesses [Top 6]
- Ruffwear Hi & Light Lightweight Dog Harness [REVIEW]
- Hounds Design Freedom No Pull Dog Harness [REVIEW]
- Ruffwear Front Range Dog Harness [REVIEW]
- Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Dog Walking Harness [REVIEW]
- Julius K9 [REVIEW]
- Ruffwear Switchbak Harness [REVIEW]
- Four-point adjustable Fit
- Lightweight construction
- Debris-resistant liner
- Single aluminium V-ring attachment point
- Reflective trim
- ID pocket
- Wipe clean
The Ruffwear Hi & Light dog harness offers a lightweight construction and four adjustment points, so provides the perfect fit for your Staffy. Your Staffy’s size range is from medium (27-32 inches) to large (32-42 inches), with plenty of size differences to accommodate any Staffy. The single attachment point is situated on the dog’s back, so it’s ideal if your Staffy walks nicely and doesn’t pull too much.
With three stylish colours, twilight grey, blue atoll, and sockeye red, that should suit even the most discerning owners.
A helpful sizing chart and a measurement video will ensure you get the correct fitting harness.
- Dual connection points (back and front)
- Velvet lining
- A range of twenty colours
- Sizes from XS to XXL
- Four-point adjustability
The Freedom No-Pull harness is perfect if you have a Staffy constantly pulling. Use the front attachment point during training sessions or just to discourage pulling and the attachment point on the back when exercising or if your Staffy is well-behaved when out walking. The Swiss velvet lining on the underside of the harness prevents any rubbing or chafing for a much more comfortable fit.
The harness will accommodate dogs from 15 to 250lbs, so you needn’t worry about finding the ideal size for your Staffy. These harnesses are made for comfort and to last. Using the front clip will really limit the amount your Staffy can pull.
- The Freedom No-Pull Harness design minimizes or eliminates pulling, neck strain, and the chance of escape. Recommended by trainers as the "ultimate in flexibility, control, and training.
- Comfortable and durable. The Freedom harness has a soft Swiss velvet lining on the strap that goes behind the legs to help prevent rubbing, chaffing and sores.
- The harness can be used for discouraging pulling when attached to the front or for exercise when attached to the back.
- Reduces pulling, the patented action loop sits at the back of the dog between the shoulders allowing your dog to walk in a straight line without twisting or straining.
- Dual Connection makes it easy to walk your dog!
- Four adjustment points
- Foam-padded construction
- Two lead attachment points
- ID pocket
- Reflective trim
- Range of eight colours
- XXS to XLarge sizes
- 300 denier polyester ripstop
The Front Range harness is a comfortable everyday harness for dogs, also including a front lead attachment point for training and dogs that love to pull, typical of many Staffies. The comfort comes from the foam padding closed-cell foam and 300 deniers polyester ripstop outer material. With an excellent range of colours, they are as eye-catching as comfortable.
Four adjustment points and sizes from XXSmall to XLarge means there’s a perfect fit just waiting for your Staffy. A built-in ID pocket for your dog’s tags negates the need for your dog to wear a collar in addition to the harness.
Safety at night is a viable concern, especially with the UK winter nights, so these harnesses have reflective trim and light loops to boost your visibility in low-light conditions.
- Front and back lead attachment points
- Sizes from X-Small to X-Large
- One colour – black
- Durable ripstop fabric
- Padded chest
- 5 adjustment points
- Seat belt loop included
- Lifetime warranty
The Kurgo Tru-Fit smart dog walking harness is the ideal everyday harness for your Staffy. This double-ring attachment (front and back) harness is perfect for training sessions when you struggle with your dog pulling and your everyday exercising activities.
If your Staffy loves trips out in the car, it can be dangerous for a dog in the back if you have to brake suddenly, so the Kurgo includes a 25.5cm tether to secure your dog, similar to a car seat belt function, but for your dog.
With a range of sizes from X-small to X-large and five adjustment points, there shouldn’t be any issue finding the exact size for your Staffy.
- PERFECT EVERYDAY DOG WALKING HARNESS: Ideal for everyday activities such as walking around town or running at the park. Made with easy on and off quick release buckles
- TRAINS DOGS NOT TO PULL: Dog harness has a front D-ring clip to use as lead attachment to train dogs not to pull. Also features a back lead ring for regular walking or jogging
- DOG SEAT BELT LOOP INCLUDED: Comes with a 25.5cm tether that can be used as a dog seat belt in cars to restrain dog and prevent distracted driving (harness is not crash tested)
- SIZING AND FIT: Medium size fits dogs with 40-63cm neck and 46-71cm chest - please see sizing chart for further details
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Product comes with hassle-free Kurgo Lifetime Warranty against manufacturer defects when purchased new from authorised dealers
5. Julius K9
- Range of colours and sizes
- Shatterproof buckles
- Robust construction
- Control handle
- First-rate materials
- Comfortable lining
- Interchangeable design patches
With a range of eighteen colours and eight sizes, there’s a harness in the Julius-K9 power harness range to suit any discerning Staffy owner. The Julius-K9 is not a training harness or a non-pull harness but is designed for your dog’s ease of use and comfort.
The Julius-K9 has a robust construction and on top of the harness is a strong-grip handle so you can maintain control of your Staffy whatever the circumstances. In addition, the harness is lined for comfort and made from first-class materials with shatterproof buckles. You can project your Staffy’s personality on the harness by interchanging the designer patches on the harness.
- Size: Chest circumference: 71-96 cm, Dog’s weight: 28-40 kg. For more products please visit our Amazon Storefront!
- Traditional comfort and convenience: Perfect wear for the park and on the streets - since 1997.
- The world's first harness with interchangeable patches: You can choose from countless different patch options to express your dog’s personality, mood, or to display useful information on your harness.
- Robust and durable design: With its rugged grip, you can easily control your dog when needed. Safety is enhanced by the shatterproof buckle and reflective elements of the harness. Water-repellent dog harness made of first-class materials.
- Exceptionally easy to put on and use: Just one click and you're ready to go!
- Three colours and five sizes
- Foam-padded construction
- Zippered pockets
- Two lead attachment points
- Padded belly strap
- Five adjustment points
- Low-profile padded handle
The versatile Switchbak harness is a padded everyday harness with two low-profile zippered pockets. So, it’s suitable for carrying all the typical accessories you need for a day out with your favourite friend.
The harness also features two lead attachment points; the front one for redirecting dogs that pull, perfect for a Staffy in training. This harness includes a padded belly strap, which ensures stability when your dog is carrying his gear, and for comfort, if you need to use the low-profile handle in case your Staffy needs a little boost now and again.
Foam-padded construction means your dog will be comfortable in the harness all day. Plus, a safety-first feature is the reflective accents and light loop.