If, like me, you’re the proud parent of a Staffy, you don’t need me to point out they’re heavy and aggressive chewers; you and your bank account are already entirely in the picture.
Both Toffee (our Amstaff) and Runa (a Staffordshire Bull Terrier) simply love to play with dog toys.
But do look on in despair as they shred, in a matter of minutes, the latest “indestructible” toy you discovered after hours of searching online?
NOTE: This page may contain affiliate links, which means Staffy Dog may receive a small commission for anything purchase via these links, at no cost to you. This keeps our tails wagging.
Do you get the feeling your Staffy is looking at all these toys as a kind of challenge? Maybe they genuinely believe you’re testing their chewing prowess.
Tough Toys for Staffies
By now, you’ve learned the hard and expensive way that plush, plastic, and fabric, just don’t cut it when it comes to your Staffy and their legendary chewing capabilities.
So what can you do? The average toy you’ll find in a pet shop cannot stand up to the powerful jaws and ultra-sharp teeth of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier. You have to research and keep researching until you find a toy that lives up to the term “indestructible.” But your search won’t be easy, and it won’t be quick.
Instead of going through all that hassle of time and effort, we’ve done all the work for you (by testing them out on our very own Staffies!). Here’s our list of best Staffy toys – and, in particular, 7 indestructible toys for Staffies that will last the test of time (and teeth).
Best Toys For Staffies – Top 7
- Kong Jumbler Ball [Review]
- Nylabone Extreme Tough Dog Chew Toy [Review]
- KONG Tri Jumbler [Review]
- KONG Wobbler [Review]
- West Paw Zogoflex Jive [Review]
- West Paw Zogoflex Hurley [Review]
- ONEISALL Durable Dog Bone [Review]
1. KONG – Jumbler Ball
As you can see from video above, Toffee absolutely loves the KONG Jumpbler Ball. She’s been trying to destroy it for over a year and hasn’t even come close.
If your Staffy has a habit of chewing through their toys, and most do, the Kong Jumbler Ball could be a great choice.
The ball inside the Jumbler adds to the fun because when you throw or kick the Jumbler for your Staffy to chase after, the ball shakes the toy around, making it a bit more difficult for them to pick up.
However, the ball inside the Kong Jumbler is pretty small, so it would be advisable to throw away the ball when your Staffy does manage to chew a hole in the toy.
Kong would probably recommend the large or extra-large size for a Staffy.
All Staffies love a game of tug, and the handles on the Jumbler come in useful.
Why We Like It: the Kong Jumbler is exceptionally robust, and the carrying handles mean your Staffy can take it with them, ready for action.
- Squeaker and tumbling interior ball entice play
- Ideal for interactive fun
- Handles make pick up and shaking easy
- Available in two shapes: Ball and Football
- Available in two sizes: M/L and L/XL
2. Nylabone Extreme Tough Dog Chew Toy Monster Chicken Thigh
- Tough, durable nylon
- Suitable for adult dogs over 23kg
- Flavour lasts as long as the bone
- Choice of flavours and sizes
- The Nylabone is not chemically treated
- Zero calories and odour-free
- It helps prevent periodontal disease
- Keeps teeth clean and tartar-free
Nylabone Extreme toys are excellent for Staffies because the material they’re made from is as tough as actual bones, without all the inherent dangers or fears of your dog splintering the bone and swallowing the pieces.
These Extreme chewing toys have the flavour packed into the material and not just on the outside where it’s easy for dogs to chew or lick off; from the first to the last chew, the bones taste equally as good.
Nylabone design these chewing toys so that tiny bristles come up when the dog’s chewing; the bristles act just like small bristles from a toothbrush to help clean the Staffies teeth.
This Extreme range of toys is entirely free of any chemicals and perfectly safe for your Staffy to chew to their heart’s content. This toy doesn’t just keep them occupied; it can help prevent periodontal disease.
Why We Like It: If your Staffy is a power chewer, you need the Nylabone Extreme. They are perfectly safe, and the flavor will last through the bone’s lifespan.
- MADE OF DURABLE NYLON – long lasting dog chew toy challenges even the most aggressive chewers and discourages destructive chewing
- FUN & OCCUPYING – this chew toy keeps dogs busy while satisfying their natural urge to chew
- GREAT FOR DENTAL HYGIENE - tiny bristles raise on the bone during chewing like a mini toothbrush to help keep teeth clean and prevent tartar build up
- DELICIOUS FLAVOUR THROUGHOUT - these chew toys have a delicious flavour throughout, meaning the flavour goes on for as long as the chew does, they are not sprayed, dipped or coated in any way so there is no chance of that tasty flavour being licked off!
- FOR EXTRA LARGE DOGS - intended for dogs over 23 kg
3. KONG Tri Jumbler
- It is available in two shapes and sizes
- Pick-up and carry handles
- It contains a squeaker and interior ball
- Assorted colours
- Unpredictable bounce
- Good for mental stimulation
This is another favourite toy of Toffee (see video above!) and one that she has not managed to destroy in over two years of extreme attempts!
The KONG Tri Jumbler will very quickly become your Staffy’s new favourite toy, offering them bags of interactive fun and games. Jumblers make perfect toys during play sessions with your Staffy. The squeaker and interior ball adds to the excitement for your dog.
The built-in handles make it easy to pick up and throw, and if you want a game of tug, at least you stand half a chance with your Staffy. You’ll probably find your Staffy bringing you the Jumbler via the handles when he thinks it’s time for a game.
You can hear a collective sigh from all the Staffy owners now they’ve found a toy their dog can’t destroy in a matter of minutes.
Why We Like It: The Kong Tri Jumbler is exceptionally sturdy and is a two-in-one ball toy offering interactive fun for your Staffy.
- Squeaker and tumbling interior ball entice play
- Ideal for interactive fun
- Handles make pick-up and shaking easy
4. KONG – Wobbler – Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Toy
- Helps with mental stimulation
- Solid material
- Designed to dispense food or treats
- It’s available in two sizes
- The wobble will engage a Staffy’s curiosity
The Kong Wobbler is an excellent toy to keep your Staffy mentally stimulated and getting their heart rate up a few notches. Wobblers are exceptionally strong, making it super hard for even a Staffy’s legendary teeth to make any impression.
The toy also doubles as a treat dispenser; if you need to leave your Staffy at home and you’re concerned about separation anxiety, then fill the Wobbler with their favourite treat and leave it for them. The combination of goodies with the strength and robustness of the Kong Wobbler will keep your Staffy entertained for hours.
The Kong Wobbler is available in two sizes, small (holds 1/2 cup of food) and large (which holds 1 cup of food).
You’ll have plenty of fun watching how your Staffy works out how to get at the food inside the Wobbler, beware though, because once your Staffy figures out it comes with food, he’ll not be too fond of the Wobbler when it’s empty.
Why We Like It: The Kong Wobbler is an excellent toy to keep a Staffy occupied figuring out how to get the food out. It helps with separation anxiety by taking your Staffy’s mind off being alone.
- Action packed food-dispensing toy that provides mental stimulation
- Entertaining wobble sparks dogs curiosity engaging over time
- Allows dogs to work for their food, engaging in natural instincts
- Made in the USA
- Available in two sizes: S and L Small fits 1/2 cup of food Large fits 1 cup of food
5. West Paw Design Zogoflex Jive Dog Toy
- Several colours available
- It’s made from non-toxic zogoflex
- It’s available in three sizes
- Ideal for games of fetch
- Guaranteed durability
- It fits a standard ball launcher
Even heavy, highly destructive chewers like your Staffy still love a game of fetch. But when you play with a typical old ball, they last about three throws because Staffies just can’t help themselves and chews the ball before they gives it back.
If you invest in a Zogoflex Jive, your Staffy will have their work cut out because they give just enough to make them a little chewy but so strong and resilient he won’t be able to destroy the Zogoflex.
Throwing balls for hours on end might be super fun for your Staffy, but it won’t do much for your aching arms. The best way is to use a ball launcher. They save your poor old arm, and you can send the ball much further, thereby tiring your Staffy sooner. One big problem is finding a super tough ball that fits into a standard launcher.
Look no further; the West Paw Zogoflex Jive does precisely that; not only can you launch the ball further, but it also creates some seriously uneven bounces with the notches cut into the sides. Your Staffy will go one way, and the bounce will catch them out.
If you inadvertently overthrow or your aim is misguided, and you launch the Jive into some nearby water, don’t worry; even though it’s heavier than a standard ball, they float.
Why We Like It: The West Paw Jive is a super dog toy for engaging your Staffy in a game of fetch. Heavy-duty Zogoflex means your Staffy won’t be able to chew through the ball.
- Made from zogoflexthe pliable, non-toxic material
- Great for fetch games
- Guaranteed durability
- Made from zogoflex the pliable, non-toxic material
6. West Paw Design Zogoflex Hurley Dog Toy
- It’s made from zogoflex, non-toxic material
- Dishwasher safe
- 100% recyclable
- It’s available in three colours and sizes
- Highly durable
- Replacement guarantee
If your Staffy is stuck with just the big Kong toys or antlers because he’s such an aggressive chewer, then he’s in for a great surprise. Enter the West Paw zogoflex Hurly dog toy; your Staffy will love these. Convenient and light enough to carry around, yet strong enough to withstand even the superstar chewers.
Take it on your walks and throw it for them, it’s light enough to send it a reasonable distance, and if they end up in the water, they float.
The manufacturers claim it’s damage-free; if your Staffy does chew through it, then you can claim a free replacement.
You can clean the Hurley toy in the dishwasher; it’s non-toxic, BPA and Phthalate-free.
Why We Like It: The West Paw Hurley dog toy is well made and sturdy; even the heavy chewers like your Staffy will have problems destroying this toy.
- Made from Zogoflexthe pliable, non-toxic material
- Dishwaher safe
- 100% Recyclable
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
7. ONEISALL Durable Dog Chew Bone
- Ideal for aggressive chewers
- It’s available in two sizes
- Durable, non-toxic nylon
- Bacon flavour
- Weight: 180 grams
- Provides dental benefits
The ONEISALL durable dog chew bone is available in three sizes, and you must choose the correct size and chewing style for your Staffy. This dog chew toy covers small, medium, and large dogs and is made from food-grade nylon with the dog-loving flavour of bacon.
If your Staffy accidentally chews a small piece off the toy and swallows it, don’t worry; the nylon is entirely non-toxic, and they’ll will just excrete the pieces when they go to the toilet. Having said that, if they do manage to damage the toy, you should take it away from them and replace it with another one.
The ONEISALL chew bone comes in medium and large sizes. The chew bone is non-toxic nylon and will help keep teeth clean from tartar.
Why We Like It: The ONEISALL chew bone is difficult to chew through and has a strong bacon flavour to entice your Staffy.
- Made by durable nylon,safe non-toxic , tough and durable.
- Chewing help clean teeth and control plaque and tartar,effectively cleans teeth to promote oral health soothes discomforts from teething.
- Irresistible Bacon Flavor,they love it !
- Creats positive association with toy and reduces anxiety and boredom.
- We have two different sizes of products suitable for different dogs.Poodle, Papillon, Shih Tzu, Bichon, Hawaye ,Less than ten pounds of dogs ,30-60 lbs.
What Do Staffies Like To Play With?
Staffordshire Bull Terriers love to have something in their mouths; they are by nature aggressive chewers. Half the time, it doesn’t matter to a Staffy what they’ve got in their mouth; they’ll just chew away until they get bored.
An excellent game for Staffies is frisbee; they love to catch things in their mouth. If you throw a frisbee, you can guarantee your Staffy will be after it, like lightning. They’ll undoubtedly have a few sneaky chews on the frisbee on the way back for you to throw it again.
What Toys Do Staffordshire Terriers Like?
As mentioned, Staffies like nothing better than playing with toys to get their powerful jaws around and their teeth into.
So pick out some toys your Staffy can chew on, ensure the toys you buy are extra durable and extremely tough; if not, your Staffy will destroy them. This can prove very expensive when you keep having to replace their toys; it’s also dangerous for your Staffy because when the toy comes to pieces, your dog can swallow them, and that’s a severe choking hazard.
Staffordshire Terriers also love a game of tug. You can use strong rope toys for this or some of the rubber toys that stretch and give a little; they work equally as well.
Are Kongs Good For Staffies?
As you can see from this list, KONG provide some of the most durable and best toys for Staffies, and they are one of the few brands that can really fulfull most of the requirements for your Staffy’s chewing abilities.
Kongs for dogs are extremely tough rubber toys. If your dog is an aggressive chewer and Staffies are, then something like the Kong Wobbler would make an excellent choice.
You can use your Kong for a game of fetch because it will stand up to the punishment, and they have an unpredictable bounce which makes it more challenging for your Staffy. The Wobbler will also hold food and treats, which will give your Staffy some mental stimulation as they try to figure out how to get the food out.
Final Thoughts – Best Toys for Staffies
With the above list of best Staffy toys, there’s plenty there for your Staffy to get their teeth into and hopefully has provided you with some excellent choices.
When choosing toys for your Staffy, stay away from any toy that isn’t going to help your Staffy. No one knows your Staffy better than you, and I bet you’ve already bought several toys only to be disappointed when they only lasted a few minutes.
Two great chewing toys are the Kong and Nylabone but don’t forget the West Paw Jive because that’s a brilliant toy for a game of fetch, and you can use the ball launcher to get some distance on your throw.