Plenty of dog breeds are fortunate because they have thick double coats, long outer coats, and dense shorter undercoats. These coats protect them from the hot sun and insulate them in freezing weather.
Other dog breeds don’t come so lucky. So if you’re a new parent of a Staffy dog, you’ll probably be wondering do Staffies feel the cold? If they do, then your follow-up question is, does a Staffy need a coat in winter?
The answer is yes to both questions. At this point, I’m assuming if you’re already a Staffy owner, you, of course, know the answer to both questions already.
While they come across as solid, powerful dogs, Staffies don’t have long hair nor come equipped with a luxurious, dense undercoat. This lack of a double coat means that Staffies not only feel the cold very much but also don’t fare well in hot climates.
Do Staffies Get Cold Easily?
Do American Staffies Feel The Cold?
All dogs need their coats to retain the heat their bodies produce. Dogs with double coats have a distinct advantage over thin-coated dogs in this regard.
American Staffordshire Terriers have a thin and glossy coat that’s very short. So no nice, thick undercoat in sight for Amstaffs. In addition, they are lean dogs; you can see their muscles rippling through their coat.
A lean body and very short coat mean American Staffies feel the cold, especially when the temperature gets down below 5 degrees Celcius. Amstaffs can keep warm when they’re exercising, but when they stop, they’ll feel the cold exceptionally quickly.
Do English Staffies Feel The Cold?
English Staffies feel the cold in precisely the same way as Amstaffs and for the same reasons.
Staffies are family-loving dogs and need to be close to them. If you currently keep your Staffy outside, you might consider moving him inside your home. Staffies are fantastic pets and don’t do well alone. If the weather starts to turn nasty, it’s far healthier for your Staffy to be nice and warm in the house.
Ideal Climate For A Staffy
Ideally, a Staffy will enjoy a moderate climate. Not too hot, so they overheat and not freezing either. In some ways, it’s easier to deal with a cold environment because you can buy a coat for your Staffy to help retain their body heat.
Hot weather is always a bit trickier because the dog can overheat quickly. Should you have air conditioning, that makes life a lot easier, because if your Staffy is overheating, put them in an air-conditioned room for a while.
Do Staffies Need A Coat?
Many people have this idea that dogs shouldn’t wear coats. They believe dogs already have a fur coat; why do they need one more?
In my view, that’s nonsense; if your Staffy is cold and shivering, why torture the dog; get them a coat. Seriously what’s the harm?
If your Staffy wears another layer and helps retain his body heat to keep him warm, then it’s good enough for me, and it should be good enough for anyone.
I would probably draw the line at bootees and a hat, though.
If you’re taking your Staffy out in the snow and rain and they get the coat wet, I would advise taking the coat off because it might end up making them colder.
Should Staffies Wear A Coat In Winter?
As I have mentioned, if where you live, the winters are harsh and can get down below freezing, then I would let your Staffy wear a coat. Why not, it’s not going to spoil their tough-guy image, and it’s a much better idea than letting them shiver and shake.
What Size Dog Coat For A Staffy?
Before you choose your Staffy’s coat, you’re going to have to measure him carefully. Each dog coat you’re looking at will probably have a specific sizing chart for the product. Follow their instructions because different coat manufacturers have different ideas on sizing.
So, because a Staffy is a medium-sized dog, it doesn’t always follow they’ll need a medium coat.
NOTE: This page may contain affiliate links, which means Staffy Dog may receive a small commission for anything purchase via these links, at no cost to you. This keeps our tails wagging.
Best Coat For Staffies [Top 3]
- Hook and Loop tape fastening
- Reflective edging
- Machine washable
- Waterproof exterior
- Fleece lining
- Zippered slot for lead attachment
Check the sizing carefully on the Ancol Stormguard coat because the medium might not fit your Staffy; you’ll probably find you’ll need the large.
The coat is of excellent quality, with a fleece-lined inner and waterproof outer. The design will keep the heat in and water out. If your Staffy loves splashing in puddles irrespective of the weather, then the under-chest protector will keep them clean and dry.
One very convenient feature is the gap underneath and at the back of the coat allowing your Staffy to go to the toilet without removing the coat.
If you’re out lead walking, there’s a zip that parts the coat slightly to allow you to fasten the lead. Walking at night can be hazardous, so the coat’s edging is lined with reflective strips.
Why We Like It: The Ancol Muddy Paws Coat is well made and of excellent quality and incorporates some valuable features.
- Inspired by professional outdoor pursuits
- Hook and loop tape fastening
- Elasticated leg straps
- Reflective edge tape
- Great performance coat.This coat is 100 Percent polyester and can be hand or gently machine washed in cool water
- Twelve sizing options.
- Four colours.
- Cotton material.
- No-fray edging.
- Extra plush and absorbent.
- Adjustable will fit all breed sizes.
Does your Staffy come in after wet walks, soaking and smelling a little bit doggy? Well, here’s the perfect solution. There’s no need to rub your Staffy down with a towel anymore. Just fasten the dog drying robe around your Staffy, and the drying robe will do the job for you.
Convenient velcro straps are making it easy to fasten once you’ve put it around your Staffy. The drying coat is exceptionally absorbent and breathable.
It’s an outstanding all-year-round choice as well because in the summer months, use the drying coat after you have bathed your Staffy.
Not only is the drying coat superb for use in drying your Staffy, but it’s also effortless to keep clean. All the coat edges are covered in webbing tape to prevent fraying, and the high-quality cotton material will retain its softness even after multiple washes.
Why We Like It: The Ruff and Tumble dog drying coat bring an innovative idea to the mundane job of drying your Staffy every time they get wet from walks or after bathtime.
- DRY WET & MUDDY DOGS IN MINUTES: Take the hassle out of drying your dog with the Ruff and Tumble Dog Dressing Gown – the original dog Drying Coat that absorbs moisture and keeps odours at bay! Dry your dog’s fur quickly with no need to rub them down, ensuring warmth and comfort after wet walks. Simply fasten the dog drying robe around them with easy-to-use Velcro, and let the fast-wicking fabric do all the work for you. Perfect for keeping your home clean and dog happy.
- EXTRA PLUSH AND ABSORBENT: The best thing about the Ruff and Tumble Dog Drying Coat is that dogs love them! Designed to be ultra-absorbent yet breathable, it dries your dog quickly, so no more shivering after walks in the rain or splashing in puddles. The double thickness natural cotton towelling gives them comfort as they dry off, and it can also be used as a dog bathrobe for bath time. It’s the number one multi-purpose dog towel robe on the market for indoor or outdoor use, as well as travel.
- ADJUSTABLE & FITS ALL BREEDS: Find a wide selection of dog towel coat sizes ranging from XXXS-XL, plus specialist sizes for breeds such as German Shepherd, Mountain Dog, and Dachshund. The Velcro fastening means a comfortable fit with no bulky buckles or ties, and the long adjustable collar/hood makes it easy to dry soggy ears. Your dog can be effortlessly dried from head-to-tail whatever its shape or size. Check the weight and top line measurement on the sizing chart to determine correct size
- RECOMMENDED BY VETS: The Dog Dressing Gown by Ruff and Tumble is the best and original dog towel coat product on the market and is recommended by vets. Our fast-drying dog bathrobe is also the winner of BBC1's ‘The Customer Is Always Right’ and has 5* reviews from thousands of pet owners. Because of its double-thickness towelling, it can prevent the chills, helping with medical issues such as arthritis. It’s so cosy that it’s even suitable for keeping dogs calm when they’re feeling nervous!
- DURABLE & EASY TO CLEAN: As well as being super durable and high-performing, this dog towel robe is very easy to care for. A smart webbing tape trim prevents fraying, giving you years of use, while the high-quality natural cotton will maintain its softness and cosiness after multiple washes. It’s both machine washable and tumble dryer friendly, so you can use your dog drying robe over and over again. And because it dries very fast, it prevents nasty wet dog smells in your home or car.
- Brushed fleece lining.
- Quick and easy to put on and take off.
- 75% cotton and 25% polyester.
- Five sizes.
The Embark Pets Wax Dog Jacket is designed to keep your Staffy warm on cold days even though your Staffy is short-haired.
This coat has a classic “country” style look made from 75% waxed cotton and 25% waxed polyester. Inside, the coat is filled with bonded cotton to help your Staffy retain its body heat.
The coat’s exterior will keep your Staffy dry up to a light to a medium intensity rain shower. The manufacturers recommend hand-washing rather than machine if you want to maintain the classic wax look finish. Inside the coat is a super warm fleece lining.
The coat goes on quickly and easily with just a velcro strap around the belly and one at the neck.
Why We Like It: The Embark jacket is a “classic wax style” dog jacket that’s elegant and stylish.
- KEEPS YOUR DOG WARM ON CHILLY DAYS – Our Dog Coat is made to keep your dog warm on chilly days. Our dog winter jacket has is lightly filled with bonded cotton on the interior, which lightly insulates and will keep even short haired dogs warm on chilly days
- WAXED COTTON FOR A CLASSIC LOOK – Our waxed dog Jacket is made from 75% waxed cotton and 25% waxed polyester, keeping your dog warm and cozy and providing a classic look and feel. Our dog coats for small dogs will keep most small breeds warm and cozy
- DOG COAT SIZING DETAILS – Our dog winter coat comes in four sizes and is adjustable to fit most breeds. We provide dog jackets for small dogs, medium dogs and large
- WATER RESISTANT TO KEEP YOUR DOG DRY – Perfect for keeping your dog warm and dry on light to medium rainy and cold day. However, it’s not suited for a downpour or longer walk in steady rain. We recommend hand washing to keep the waxed finish
- SOFT INNER FLEECE FOR COZY WARMTH - We guarantee you'll love our winter dog vest / jacket and it will fit comfortably or well replace with a different size. We also promise you’ll love the look, feel and quality
Do Staffies feel the cold? Yes, they feel the cold, and it’s best to keep them as warm as possible. A doggy coat is a brilliant idea, and once your Staffy gets used to it, they probably won’t go for a walk without wearing their coat.