So you want to know how often should you wash a Staffy? No doubt about it, you’re the immensely proud parent of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
One of the fantastic things about Staffies is that they’re so low maintenance, especially compared to many other breeds. Then again, every dog needs a bath sometimes, and the Staffy needs one every couple of months or so, even sooner if they’ve rolled in something unpleasant or just rolled in a muddy puddle.
Unfortunately, Staffies are one of those dog breeds that seem to suffer from persistent coat and skin issues. Moreover, if you bathe them too frequently, you can dry out the skin and cause it to become irritated and painful.
NOTE: This page may contain affiliate links, which means Staffy Dog may receive a small commission for anything purchase via these links, at no cost to you. This keeps our tails wagging.
To make matters worse, frequently bathing your Staffy can strip away the dog’s natural body oils, leaving the skin excessively dry. The dog will inevitably scratch at the dry areas causing inflammation of the skin, and of course, it becomes a vicious circle.
Oh, and many Staffies do not like getting covered in water, let alone swimming.
How Often Should You Wash A Staffy?
As we mentioned, there’s no real need to wash your Staffy more than four to five times each year. Naturally, if they are very stinky, then you have to bathe them. Other than those times, Staffies are low maintenance, and a good brush down will spruce them up a treat.
Sometimes a good brush will remove mud from their coats, anyway. But, if you need to clean dirt or other debris, try using some of those unscented doggy wet wipes; they work like a charm on my dog.
Should You Shower or Bathe a Staffy?
Put it this way; I think a combination of standing in the bathtub and using a showerhead is the best way to wash a Staffy. Think about it this way, providing you use a non-slip bath mat, your Staffy isn’t slipping and sliding around, and they aren’t going anywhere when soaking wet.
There’s no messing about filling jugs of water while your Staffy is hanging about getting cold.
Best Way To Wash A Staffy?
First of all, rinse them down using the showerhead, apply the shampoo, rinse off and repeat one more time.
Start at the bottom of your Staffy’s back when you are shampooing, work down the back legs, then move to the chest and down the front legs and belly. Leave the neck, head, around the ears, and face last, so the dog isn’t standing with shampoo covering their head and face while you shampoo the rest of their body. Don’t forget to clean under your Staffy’s tail when doing the dog’s hind legs.
All dogs love to shake their bodies like crazy after you’ve just washed them. Watch out for that, or you’ll be soaked. Have whatever towel you’re using close at hand, and be ready to put it around your Staffy as soon as you’ve finished rinsing.
How Do You Clean A Staffy?
I find the method I’ve just described is by far the best way to clean a Staffy. Because of their skin sensitivities, you might use a natural and hypoallergenic shampoo formula, and there are ones you can buy for sensitive skin.
Best Shampoos For Staffies
- Moisturises and conditions the dog’s skin
- Gentle cleanser
- It contains oatmeal, aloe, and vitamin E
- Shampoo deodorises
- Soothes sensitive skin
- Soap, Paraben, Dye, and Fragrance-free
Oxymed oatmeal shampoo is an enriching blend of oatmeal, aloe, and vitamin E, formulated with a mild coconut cleanser, ideal for dogs like your Staffy with sensitive skin.
There are no harmful additives such as parabens and dyes, only natural plant or mineral-based raw materials. Oxymed is a tear-free formula that deodorises the dog’s fur and, at the same time, rehydrates the skin.
- GENTLE CLEANSING - OxyMed Hypo-Allergenic Oatmeal Shampoo is a gentle cleansing solution enriched with vitamin E, aloe and oatmeal to moisturise and condition your pet's sensitive skin and coat, providing soothing itch relief
- RELIEF FOR SENSITIVE SKIN – Shampoo is formulated with a mild coconut cleanser that’s gentle on sensitive skin. The oatmeal formula is a fan favourite of pet professionals and groomers
- SAFE SOLUTION – Soap, paraben, dye, and fragrance free
- GENTLE & EFFECTIVE – This hypo-allergenic and tear-free formula deodorises while gently rehydrating their skin
- SPOT-ON TREATMENTS DON'T WASH AWAY - You don't have to worry about washing away spot-on treatments! Our gentle coconut cleanser gives TropiClean shampoos a soap-free clean, luxurious lather and unmistakably fresh-smelling pets
This natural shampoo for dogs is made with the highest quality, cruelty-free essential oil blends. Brilliant for shiny coats, itch relief, and perfect skin healing.
You’ll find the shampoo has a perfect PH balance to protect against sensitive skin. Rich in vitamin E with no added parabens. The additional vitamin E will moisturise and restore dry, cracked, or inflamed skin. Listen to your Staffy visibly sigh (I thought I heard a sigh, anyway) when you rub this soothing anti-bacterial and anti-fungal shampoo into the dog’s skin.
- No parabens
- 100% natural ingredients
- No alcohol
- ✔ CRUELTY FREE NATURAL SHAMPOO FOR DOGS: We use only the Highest Quality Natural Cruelty Free Essential Oil Blends, Expect Superb Coat Shine, Itch Soothe from Our Product: No More Uncomfortable Dog Walks
- ✔ PUPPY SAFE ESSENTIAL OILS: Used By Leading Professional Dog Groomers, Our Unique HandmadeFlea Shampoo For Dogs Is PerfectlyPH Balanced and Paraben Free, Ensuring The Very Best Coat
- ✔ VITAMIN E RICH NON TOXIC NONIRRITANT FORMULA: No More Worries About Harmful Treatments, Our Products Are Always Cruelty Free and Natural Resulting In Fast Soothing and Calming Of Dog Coat and Skin: Vitamin E is Great for Moisturising Your Dog or Puppy's Coat and Skin Also A Wonderful Dog Flea Shampoo Which Also Helps In Managing Fleas Which Makes It The Ideal Dog Shampoo For Smelly Dogs
- ✔ LOW LATHERING EASYAPPLICATION PRODUCT: Works Easily into Dogs Coat and Gets To Work Quickly Soothing and Soothing Itchy Skin: Great Antibacterial and Anti-fungal Shampoo
- ✔ SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Our Cruelty Free Dog Shampoo is Backed By Our Leading Manufacturer 30Day Money Back Guarantee
- Naturally derived
- No harsh chemicals or additives
- Made from colloidal oats and aloe
- Made in the UK
A pH-balanced hypoallergenic shampoo specially formulated to be mild and gentle on your Staffy puppy’s skin and fur. The shampoo contains natural cleansers such as oatmeal, pro-vitamin B5, aloe vera, and wheat proteins. The ingredients combined produce a wonderful moisturising blend that cleanses and nourishes your Staffy’s skin.
There are added vegetable proteins to enhance and keep your Staffy’s coat nice and shiny, and silky smooth. Start your puppy off the best way to eliminate itchy, sensitive skin later on down the road.
- Our pH balanced puppy shampoo is cleverly formulated to help soothe and relieve itching. It produces effective results on dandruff, whilst being gentle on your pup's itchy, dry, and sensitive skin.
- Crafted from a combination of natural cleansers, including colloidal oatmeal, pro vitamin B5, aloe vera, and wheat proteins, our dog shampoo for smelly dogs is also free from toxic nasties!
- With a market leading dilution ratio of 33:1, our oatmeal dog shampoo also contains vegetable proteins which help build body and elasticity, leaving coats smooth, silky, and shiny.
- We're committed to animal welfare, which is why we never test our sensitive dog shampoo or any of our products on animals. Feel safe in the knowledge that you're dealing with a brand you can trust.
- Four-legged friends need some TLC too! This pet shampoo for dogs will leave your pup’s coat soft, thick, and beautifully salon fresh. Plus, it comes with a bonus professional grooming eBook - Pawfect!
All in all, Staffies are so easy to groom and bathe when you compare them to some other dog breeds. No hours spent clipping and combing, etc.
Nevertheless, your Staffy deserves the best, and I’m positive you agree with me there.