So you want to know how often should you wash a Staffy? No doubt about it, you’re the immensely proud parent of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
One of the fantastic things about Staffies is that they’re so low maintenance, especially compared to many other breeds. Then again, every dog needs a bath sometimes, and the Staffy needs one every couple of months or so, even sooner if they’ve rolled in something unpleasant or just rolled in a muddy puddle.
Unfortunately, Staffies are one of those dog breeds that seem to suffer from persistent coat and skin issues. Moreover, if you bathe them too frequently, you can dry out the skin and cause it to become irritated and painful.
To make matters worse, frequently bathing your Staffy can strip away the dog’s natural body oils, leaving the skin excessively dry. The dog will inevitably scratch at the dry areas causing inflammation of the skin, and of course, it becomes a vicious circle.
Oh, and many Staffies do not like getting covered in water, let alone swimming.
How Often Should You Wash A Staffy?
As we mentioned, there’s no real need to wash your Staffy more than four to five times each year. Naturally, if they are very stinky, then you have to bathe them. Other than those times, Staffies are low maintenance, and a good brush down will spruce them up a treat.
Sometimes a good brush will remove mud from their coats, anyway. But, if you need to clean dirt or other debris, try using some of those unscented doggy wet wipes; they work like a charm on my dog.
Should You Shower or Bathe a Staffy?
Put it this way; I think a combination of standing in the bathtub and using a showerhead is the best way to wash a Staffy. Think about it this way, providing you use a non-slip bath mat, your Staffy isn’t slipping and sliding around, and they aren’t going anywhere when soaking wet.
There’s no messing about filling jugs of water while your Staffy is hanging about getting cold.
Best Way To Wash A Staffy?
First of all, rinse them down using the showerhead, apply the shampoo, rinse off and repeat one more time.
Start at the bottom of your Staffy’s back when you are shampooing, work down the back legs, then move to the chest and down the front legs and belly. Leave the neck, head, around the ears, and face last, so the dog isn’t standing with shampoo covering their head and face while you shampoo the rest of their body. Don’t forget to clean under your Staffy’s tail when doing the dog’s hind legs.
All dogs love to shake their bodies like crazy after you’ve just washed them. Watch out for that, or you’ll be soaked. Have whatever towel you’re using close at hand, and be ready to put it around your Staffy as soon as you’ve finished rinsing.
How Do You Clean A Staffy?
I find the method I’ve just described is by far the best way to clean a Staffy. Because of their skin sensitivities, you might use a natural and hypoallergenic shampoo formula, and there are ones you can buy for sensitive skin.
Best Shampoos For Staffies
- Moisturises and conditions the dog’s skin
- Gentle cleanser
- It contains oatmeal, aloe, and vitamin E
- Shampoo deodorises
- Soothes sensitive skin
- Soap, Paraben, Dye, and Fragrance-free
Oxymed oatmeal shampoo is an enriching blend of oatmeal, aloe, and vitamin E, formulated with a mild coconut cleanser, ideal for dogs like your Staffy with sensitive skin.
There are no harmful additives such as parabens and dyes, only natural plant or mineral-based raw materials. Oxymed is a tear-free formula that deodorises the dog’s fur and, at the same time, rehydrates the skin.
- GENTLE CLEANSING - OxyMed Hypo-Allergenic Oatmeal Shampoo is a gentle cleansing solution enriched with vitamin E, aloe and oatmeal to moisturize and condition your pet's sensitive skin and coat, providing soothing itch relief
- RELIEF FOR SENSITIVE SKIN - OxyMed Hypo-Allergenic Oatmeal Shampoo is formulated with our mild coconut cleanser for pets with allergies and sensitive skin
- PET FRIENDLY, CRUELTY FREE - Also free of harmful parabens and dyes; safe when used as directed on dogs and cats 12 weeks or older
- GENTLE and EFFECTIVE - This hypo-allergenic and tear-free formula deodorizes while gently rehydrating their skin
- NATURALLY DERIVED INGREDIENTS, USA MADE - Manufactured and shipped with only the highest quality, naturally derived ingredients (naturally-occurring raw materials or ingredients adapted from naturally-occurring plant or mineral-based raw materials)
This natural shampoo for dogs is made with the highest quality, cruelty-free essential oil blends. Brilliant for shiny coats, itch relief, and perfect skin healing.
You’ll find the shampoo has a perfect PH balance to protect against sensitive skin. Rich in vitamin E with no added parabens. The additional vitamin E will moisturise and restore dry, cracked, or inflamed skin. Listen to your Staffy visibly sigh (I thought I heard a sigh, anyway) when you rub this soothing anti-bacterial and anti-fungal shampoo into the dog’s skin.
- No parabens
- 100% natural ingredients
- No alcohol
- ✔CRUELTY FREE NATURAL SHAMPOO FOR DOGS: We use only the Highest Quality Natural Cruelty Free Essential Oil Blends, Expect Superb Coat Shine, Itch Relief and Skin Healing from Our Product: No More Uncomfortable Dog Walks Or Worries Of Skin Damage
- ✔PUPPY SAFE ESSENTIAL OILS: Used By Leading Professional Dog Groomers, Our Unique Handmade Shampoo Is Perfectly PH Balanced and Paraben Free, Ensuring The Very Best Coat and Sensitive Itchy Skin Protection
- ✔VITAMIN E RICH NON TOXIC NON IRRITANT FORMULA: No More Worries About Harmful Treatments, Our Products Are Always Cruelty Free and Natural Resulting In Fast Healing and Repairing Of Dog Coat and Skin: Vitamin E is Great for Moisturising and Restoring Cracked or Damaged Areas Of Your Dog or Puppy's Coat and Skin
- ✔LOW LATHERING EASY APPLICATION PRODUCT: Works Easily into Dogs Coat and Gets To Work Quickly Soothing and Relieving Itchy Skin and Protecting Against Any Further Coat or Skin Damage: Great Antibacterial and Anti-fungal protection
- ✔SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Our Cruelty Free Dog Shampoo is Backed By Our Leading Manufacturer 30Day Money Back Guarantee
- Naturally derived
- No harsh chemicals or additives
- Made from colloidal oats and aloe
- Made in the UK
A pH-balanced hypoallergenic shampoo specially formulated to be mild and gentle on your Staffy puppy’s skin and fur. The shampoo contains natural cleansers such as oatmeal, pro-vitamin B5, aloe vera, and wheat proteins. The ingredients combined produce a wonderful moisturising blend that cleanses and nourishes your Staffy’s skin.
There are added vegetable proteins to enhance and keep your Staffy’s coat nice and shiny, and silky smooth. Start your puppy off the best way to eliminate itchy, sensitive skin later on down the road.
- GROOMER RECOMMENDED: Our pH balanced, hypoallergenic, puppy shampoo is cleverly formulated to heal, soothe & relieve itching. This powerful trifecta garners effective results on dandruff, whilst being gentle on your pup's itchy, dry, sensitive skin.
- HYPOALLERGENIC: Our dog shampoo for smelly dogs is a potent combination of natural cleansers; colloidal oatmeal, pro vitamin B5, aloe vera & wheat proteins which naturally moisturise, cleanse & nourish. Our pet shampoo is also free from toxic nasties!
- THE SCIENCE BIT: We think Pro Pooch is the best dog shampoo because of our market leading 33:1 dilution ratio. Our natural dog shampoo also contains vegetable proteins which help build body & elasticity, which leaves coats smooth, silky & shiny.
- PEACE OF MIND: We're committed to animal welfare, which is why we never test any of our products on animals. So, with your purchase of our hypoallergenic dog shampoo, you can feel safe in the knowledge that you're dealing with a brand you can trust.
- TLC: Sometimes your favourite four-legged friend needs some TLC too! This oatmeal shampoo for dogs is safe & will leave your pup’s coat soft, thick, plush & beautifully salon fresh. It also comes with a bonus professional grooming guide eBook!
All in all, Staffies are so easy to groom and bathe when you compare them to some other dog breeds. No hours spent clipping and combing, etc.
Nevertheless, your Staffy deserves the best, and I’m positive you agree with me there.