While we buy our Staffies the best quality pet food from pet shops, we still like to hunt around for quality treats without additives, artificial colors, and flavors. But have you stopped to consider some of the contents of your fridge that might make some excellent, low fat, low carb treats. But what fruit and veg can Staffies eat?
What Vegetables Can Staffies Eat?
Here are a few of our choices for safe Veggies that Staffies can eat.
- Broccoli: Contains fibre and vitamin C and is low in fat. Offer it to your Staffies, raw or steamed, but only a few pieces at a time.
- Carrot: Good for Vitamin A, from beta-carotene and fibre, it can also help clean your Staffies teeth, with any risk of damage. Offer to your Staffie only raw and in chunks big enough he can get his teeth into.
- Green Beans: Beans are low calorie high in fibre, vitamins, and minerals. Feed to your Staffie raw, boiled, or steamed.
- Brussel Sprouts: This veggie is packed with antioxidants and high levels of nutrients. Staffies might not want to eat them raw, so steam them, but don’t feed too much, Staffies are notorious for excess gas, and you definitely don’t want to make that worse.
- Celery: Celery is excellent to feed to your Staffy; it contains vitamins A, B, and C and is said to promote a healthy heart. If your Staffy enjoys celery, let him chew on a stick, it will help with his breath.
- Peas: Peas are also healthy for Staffies; it doesn’t matter if they are garden peas, snow, or sugar snap peas; they are all considered excellent for your Staffies health because they contain protein, minerals, and vitamins with good levels of fibre.
What Fruit Can Staffies Eat?
A healthy diet for humans will always contain fruit, but can we say the same for dogs? So can Staffies eat fruit? Well, the answer depends on the fruit and how much you intend to feed your Staffy. Fruit contains lots of vitamins and minerals, but it does contain sugar, so you should provide your Staffy only moderate amounts. As well as obesity, diabetes is on the rise in the dog population, so try to be mindful of the number of sweet snacks you feed to your Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
Can Staffies Eat Apples?
Yes, Staffies can eat apples. In fact, apples are excellent as they are high fiber and low fat. Ensure you remove the core and any apple pips first.
Can Staffies Eat Bananas?
Bananas can be a healthy snack for your Staffy, but in moderation, and can depend on how ripe the banana; bananas convert the carb composition of starch in unripe bananas to sugars (sucrose, fructose, and glucose) in ripe bananas. Fully ripe bananas contain up to 16% of their weight in these sugars. Bananas contain fiber, potassium, vitamins B6 and C, along with several antioxidants and phytonutrients.
Can Staffies Eat Grapes?
Grapes and raisins both contain a poisonous compound that affects dogs. Science hasn’t discovered what this substance is, but it causes kidney failure in dogs. Unless there’s more research attempting to pinpoint the toxicity, it’s safer to avoid feeding your Staffy grapes.